French Canadian explorers Pierre le Moyne Iberville and Jean Baptiste le Moyne Bienville sailed into this shallow bay April 12, 1699, claiming the territory for King Louis XIV of France. On August 25, the feast day of St. Louis (Louis IX), Bienville returned, stepped foot on the land, and gave it its present name.
For over 300 years, visitors have been greeted with the same exceptional hospitality extended by the Choctaws to the French.
Over 11,000 people now call Bay St. Louis home. Numerous shops, businesses, churches, restaurants, public and parochial schools, hotels, casinos, and a large marina make this an incomparable waterfront community known as ‘A Place Apart’.